this was the last project i completed for this season of kids clothes week. i had planned to make nothing but jammies, but cashmere was calling my name!
this is the same self-drafted pattern as the bug dress. i originally drafted a size 4T, knowing full well that it would be too large, with room to grow (at 4, the bee is a solid size 3T). I didn’t think that the bug dress looked too oversized, except at the neckline, but this one kind of looks enormous. i think it’s because of the differences in fabric – the bug knit was an interlock from birch organics, and much heftier than this black and white striped, upcycled and lightweight t-shirt fabric. this one’s got too much drape which makes it look floppy and saggy. oh well.
i was really inspired by the bell-shaped and gathered existing sleeves on a cashmere sweater, and had intended to use only that and stripes. but after MANY mishaps (like cutting out two of the same sleeve!) i needed to patch in something to make it work. i willingly jumped on the floral + stripes bandwagon!
i tried out this funny little wavy zig-zag stitch on my machine that i’ve never used before. i like it, but i think it’s a bit much here.
the cashmere had lots of holes, but after cutting a sewing, there was only one left. a little visible mending took care of that. i’m a big fan of visible mending these days!
i enjoyed the experimentation, and there are elements of this dress that i like, but all-in-all, it’s not my favorite. but the bee thinks it’s “so snuggly”, so i guess that’s all that matters!
so cool, so fun!
thank you nitasia!
This is super cute! I love the patches at the shoulder, the visible mending, and the pleated front part. Well done! You are so productive. Best, Jana
thank you jana! sometimes mistakes lead to great things.
Pingback: Naadam – NYFW Debut | Fashion Nexus·